"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him"
Gratitude lists are a great way to lend insight to our many blessing especially when life's tolls have blinded us. When days transpire that dump buckets of grunge on us and drive us haywire, we can often lose sight of everything that cements our love and trust of life and others. How quickly we forget there are still things we value highly, and instead, focus on all the things turning under. This in turn, plummets us into the sea of grief and disrupts the very foundation of hope in which we stand fast. Days like these, evoke needed gratitude lists. By ensuring we mentally complete a gratitude list each day in prayerful meditation, we can ensure a happy, healthy state of mind despite the trauma life throws at us.
Gratitude quotes and prayers are easy once you get the hang of it. It is just gathering a mental file of everything in your life that makes you smile. At first this may be difficult as we are usually unaware (especially in a high stress state) of all of our many blessings. Let me share the simplistic "Gratitude Prayer" by E. E. Cummings:
I thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of
treesand a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes
(I who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun’s birthday;
this is the birthday of life and love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)
how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the
no of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginably You?
(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are
- E. E. Cummings
Being grateful requires less energy and promotes positive well-being. Just the act of being grateful sends endorphins to our brains releasing a wave positive energy that will spark a rolling fire of delight throughout the day. By staying in this positive state, we create positive situations instead of drawing negative circumstances. Here are some great ideas to add to your grateful list daily:
* Thank you, God, for the sunshine
* Thank you, God, for life
* Thank you, because my car started on the first try
* Thank you, for this great lunch
* Thank you, God, for getting me to work on time.
* Thank you for my health
* Thank you for that person who just helped me
* Thank you for great friends in my life
* Thank you for a roof over my head
* Thank you for my kids
This Week's Meditations:
1. If you are having a hard time getting started, take a look at the Ultimate Gratitude List. This will get the ball rolling and give you great insight to ALL the many blessings God bestows on us.
2. It is important that you do your grateful meditational prayers for 10 - 20 minutes a day. Doing this daily will inspire good things to happen in your life.
3. Look for Biblical quotes in your Bible this week that relate to thankfulness. You may want to try Bible in Song's long listing of Biblical quotes.