"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."
With Election Day in our midst, it is expected that our lives may be heightened with a sense of anxiety. After all, these last four years have seen turmoil for most of us, and picking the appropriate leader as we set out on our voter obligations can be a bit tricky. We want to ensure that we understand all the prominent ideas by each, yet are subjected daily to propaganda regarding the other's negative traits. We think of family and friends, and how other's have been subjected to this economic roller coaster, and hope our decision will be the right one.
As we decide on our own fate, we are predestined to prayer, asking God to guide our immediate decisions, in hopes of making our great country prosperous again. Furthermore we are subjected to our own families and work obligations in preparation of the upcoming week. Some days there just seems to be too much stress these days. Yet, how do we combat it?
Romans states "Do not be conformed to this world." Unfortunately, this is easier said than done. How do we keep from being detached from this world? How do we de stress enough so that we can "discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."? We can begin by recognizing our own needs first. Recognizing our own needs puts us in better harmony with all we love. In order to do so, we must learn to relax, and learning comes easily if you understand Deep Belly Breathing. Deep breathing can clarify your mind, and get you back to center stage quickly. It can be done THROUGHOUT the day, EVERY DAY. Follow the guided steps below and seek peace again.
In fact, get yourself some stickers, such as those rounded bingo stickers. Find your favorite color. That rounded marker will be your best friend in upcoming weeks. Begin placing those rounded markers throughout your life. On your dash, computer, kitchen stove, door way, and such will remind you when and where to do your Deep Belly Breathing. This little indicator will make your thoughts shut down for the moment as you begin a few deep breaths. The most amazing thing is this little exercise will bring you immediate relief. Go ahead, give it a shot, and regain clarity.
Deep Belly Breathing Guided Practice
1. Begin by lying in a comfortable position away from family and friends.
2. Place one hand on your chest and one on our stomach.
3. Breathe, notice if you are a chest breather. If so, you are harboring stress daily and not letting the body let go. Breathe deeper until you feel your stomach rising. This is the essence of Deep Belly Breathing. Take note and breathe this deep when you do the exercise elsewhere.
4. Inhale for the count of five and exhale slowly to the count of ten. Breathe in and out slowly, deeply, evenly.
5. Repeat four times.
6. During this exercise get a favorite image: a beach, the woods, a field of flowers, Paris. Place yourself there while breathing.
7. Imagine the waves or wind taking out the stress each time you exhale depending on your place of choice.
*Do this anywhere. When you look at your sticker, and feel stress, begin to breathe and imagine.........