"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
God's word voices many views on maintaining healthy relationships. Healthy relationships bring us added blessings each day. The Bible offers several good points on maintaining a healthy relationship. There is an added benefit when seeking a partner that is also parti After all, the Bible clearly says, "Do not be unevenly yoked." Those individuals who share the same faith philosphy can often weather the storms easier as their faith is a shared common bond.
But what constitutes a health relationship? What does God's word say about our own self happiness? What are we to expect from our loved ones in life? One thing is certain, it should contain the following guidelines:
* Communication is open and spontaneous, including listening.
* Rules/boundaries are clear and explicit, yet allows flexibility
* Individuality, freedom, and personal identity is enhanced
* Each enjoys doing things for self, as well as for the other
* Play, humor, and having fun together is a commonplace
* Each does not attempt to "fix" or control the other
* Feelings and needs are expressed
* Ability to let go of the need to be "right"
* Conflict is faced directly and resolved
* Openness to constructive feedback
* Each is trustworthy
* Balance of giving and receiving
* Tolerance, forgiveness
* Mistakes are accepted
* Each can enjoy being alone
* Personal growth is encourage
* Continuity and consistency is present in the commitment
* Responsibility for own behavior and happiness, non blaming
How does your relationship score on the list? Do you feel many of the characteristics are there? Or, do you feel you are deficiet in certain areas? Sometimes bringing these areas to light can shed a ray of sunshine on the bonds of love, strenghtening them more. After all, God placed us together to be of love and support to one and other by offering a beacon of light on dark days and a ray of happiness to share on bright days.
1. Providing a Christian home is important. Rely on the principles of the Bible to provide a safe, nurturing home for your family members.
2. Should you need to resolve some of the above matters, do so immediately. Bring it to the table with your suggestions. Ensure your partner of his/her great worth and love on your behalf. Should this prove unhelpful, seek counseling.
3. Look at the above list again, are you deficeit in any area? Are there areas of your own that need changing? Remember love is a two way street.
4. Plan an absolute date night ONE DAY a week. Etch it into your schedule as you do all other important life tasks. Do so away from children. Even if your finances don't allow dinners out, there is much to do outdoors and it's free.
5. Most importantly, be patient. Relationships are made for a life time. Often our need for instant gratification remains on the fore front. Don't expect miracles, and learn to give a little.