2 Peter 1:21
"For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. "
No expectations, clear and simple. As the above verse says, no words of wisdom were ever produced by man unless they were carried first by the Holy Spirit. Meaning, place your trust only in God, and trust that God will surround you by people who will support you.
Expectations are what cause us pain. When we expect others to act a certain way, or fulfill our needs, we set ourselves up for failure. Expectations cause us to be cowards and prompt self-defeating behavior. We become cowards because by expecting things from others, we place all responsibility outside ourselves. I expect my co-workers to complete their jobs effectively; I expect my partner to behave in a certain way, and on and on the list goes. Sadly, the only way others hurt us is if we allow them that freedom. This enables these people to be our source of happiness. These types of expectations lead to disappointments. Disappointment leads to a miserable life expecting so much from everyone and then being disappointed when we are betrayed. The only person we can expect from is God. God promises to fill our lives with whatever we need regardless of when we think we need it. God knows the right time always to unfold his graces.
Yes, living with those we love can be difficult. We place demands and expectations on them that they may not be able to fulfill. When God created the world, he wanted to add spice. We are all in that aromatic stew that adds uniqueness to life. Without differences, life would be quite boring. We must realize that due to these differences, we think and feel differently. We can not impose our values and thoughts on others regardless of how right it feels. It is unfair to request that someone else feel the same way we do. When we do, self-fulfilling expectations arise. We get hurt and frustrated when someone lets us down, and we allow this to happen! If we respect God's uniqueness in others, then we also must respect their outlook on life may be quite different than ours. And, by the glory of God, accept it.
1. Realize you do not have control over anyone. God is the only person who does. Hold no expectations from this point forward. Each person has freedom of choice, just as you do.
2. Letting go of expectations can be difficult. But, once you identify the soul issue your hurt, ask God for help. Say a silent prayer asking for help letting go.
3. By letting go of expectations, you open your soul for other opportunities. No more are you held down by issues you have no control over! You are the PRIME source of your own happiness!
4. Seek refuge from a friend allowing your turmoil to flow, and release.
5. Each time those pains plague you, stop in silent prayer and ask for these feelings to be released.